Monday, 11 April 2011

Books

This a detail from the cover of The Victorian Chaise Longue by Marghanita Laski. As I mentioned in my last post, my edition is from 1953 and published by Ballantine Books. Since then it has been reprinted by Persephone Books who print the most gorgeous looking books which are 'neglected classics' mostly by women writers.

Many of the books have this dove grey cover and then lovely end papers which often tie in with the date of the book (this one is a 1950s rose print to go with the fact that the book was originally printed in the 50s).

The blurb on my copy calls the book a thriller and a horror... but it's actually quite slow paced and more unnerving and odd than horrific. It has that kind of claustrophobia and helplessness that reminded me of 'The Yellow Wallpaper'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...