Sunday, 17 April 2011

tasting words and seeing music

I love the bits in Kristen Hersh's book where she talks about seeing colors in the notes that she plays.

'Each major chord is a primary colour, its associated minor altered with a tinge of another color that makes it sadder; sevenths are altered by a secondary color that makes them twangy, and minor sevenths combine the original primary color with the sad shade and the twangy one, etc.  Chord structure follows a logical pattern, in other words, until I start making them up.  When I invent a chord, I invent a color.  I mean, I don't really invent a color, but it sure sounds like something I've never seen before, if that makes any sense.'
Kandinsky was also meant to be synasthesic... I've just read an article from the Telegraph which explains that synasthesia is the 'involuntary ability to hear colour, see music or even taste words results from an accidental cross-wiring in the brain'  (when I was little I can remember tasting words a little bit, but that doesn't happen so much anymore... I particularly remember tasting coloured pencils...).  Anyway, there's no proof that Kandinsky did have synasthesia but he did talk about hearing a hissing noise when he mixed colours in his paintbox as a child, and when he started playing the cello, said it that it was 'the deepest blue' of all instruments. This is how he describes the colour blue (oh my):

"The deeper the blue becomes, the more strongly it calls man towards the infinite, awakening in him a desire for the pure and, finally, for the supernatural… The brighter it becomes, the more it loses its sound, until it turns into silent stillness and becomes white."

anyway... it's fascinating... and reading things like this makes me think of when I saw a flash of violet light in my brain after yoga and meditating.  I realise that that can sound a bit crazy to some people, but I'm a fool for yoga, chakras, new age....
(this image was from here )

1 comment:

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...