Thursday, 12 May 2011

Mass observation

Today I am keeping a record of my day for the mass observation archive.  It's been quite strange as everything I've been doing has been accompanied by my narration of it in my head, a bit like that film Stranger than Fiction with Will Ferrell in it.

I feel a little bit disappointed with myself in that I fell asleep while watching Vampire Lovers and I now have to add that to my record. I'm going to add the diary on here when I am done, more for somewhere to keep it rather than expecting anyone to read it (it's going to be quite long and probably quite dull).

So there's nothing else I can tell you that won't already be on the mass observation record.... so here's what we had for lunch:


and that's just my portion! actually I couldn't eat all the pasta, but got throught that big bowl of delcious salad (we were worried yesterday that we weren't getting enough greens).


I was woken up by bert sneezing at 7am. He got up to have a bath and give sadie her breakfast biscuits. He brought me a cup of tea with soya milk and I stayed in bed until about 8am reading ‘Why this world, a biography of Clarice Lispector’ by Benjamin Moser.
Got up, snuggled Sadie and had a bath too (continued reading in the bath).


Went to the local shops and bought corn bread and what sounded like ‘donga’ bread from the bakery for £3.80, and then went to another shop to buy washing up liquid and toilet paper.
Bert made breakfast (marinated tofu sandwiches - they were delicious) while listening to Crispian St Peters, and I checked my emails, facebook and my blog. I also read other peoples blogs.
At 10.30 we drove to the gym (about 10 minutes drive) and listened to Bruce Springsteen on the way. I went to a yoga class (from 11am until 12pm),whilst Bert had blackcurrant herb tea in Costas and read Ethan Frome. Yoga was lovely and we did lots of stretching and poses for the shoulders, at the end we had a relaxation where we imagined a blue light, the colour of the night sky washing over us.
We went to Hobbycraft because I wanted to buy the new magazine ‘Molly Makes’, but they didn’t have it so I got ‘Making’ magazine instead which is all about paper cutting so should be good.
We then went to Marks and Spencers to buy salads for lunch, as well as soya milk, chick peas, sprouts and blueberry juice. We were back home for 1pm just in time for the post. A heavy shower started and I put washing away and did the washing up.
At 1.15pm we put our afternoon movie on - Vampire Lovers. Sadie came to sit on us too, my mum phoned at 1.30 to let me know results from a scan.


We made lunch - leftover pasta from yesterday, witches supper (chickpeas fried with garlic, onion, chilli, parsley and salt and pepper), and lots of salads.


Oops, I went to sleep during vampire lovers and woke up at 4.30. Bert made me a cup of tea.
We listened to music and I read a magazine and went online. My neighbour called round briefly to tell me her mother hadn’t been well.
We watched tv (eggheads and great british menu) and then an Elvis movie - ‘Live a Little, Love a Little’ which turned out to be my favourite Elvis movie so far. At 8pm we took a snack break from the film and bert washed up the dishes while I made facon, sheese and tomato sauce sandwiches (with ‘donga’ bread) which we ate with cups of tea.


After the movie I had a shower (at about 9.30) and then went online. Bert gave me one of my birthday gifts early - a book called ‘It’s kind of a funny story’ by Ned Vizzini. I gave sadie a treat (a meaty stick) which I broke up in small pieces and hid around the lounge - she sniffed them all out.
I had a bit of a stomach ache, so made myself a hot water bottle. We spent the evening reading and chatting and put another film on (Dracula - from 1931 with Bela Lugosi).We were too tired to watch it all and went to bed at about 11.30 and read until midnight.
We had a lovely, relaxing day together.
I donate my 12th May diary to the Mass Observation Archive. I consent to it being made publically available as part of the Archive and assign my copyright in the diary to the Mass Observation Archive Trustees so that it can be reproduced in full or in part on websites, in publications and in broadcasts as approved by the Trustees.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...