Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Reading Update May


So, this is what I've been reading through May. May was quite a slow month reading wise as I was finishing  off Eros the Bittersweet by Anne Carson and tackling the Clarice Lispecter book through most of it. It was really fascinating, but also a little bit sad and strange.


After all that factual stuff, I was happy to get back to some fiction, and really enjoyed Jennifer Egan's 'A Visit from the Goon Squad'. It was quite a page-turner and had loads of different characters and time periods.


The Ned Vizzini was also great, but have already written about it here... and then I went on to 'Close your Eyes' by Amanda Eyre Ward which I love, love, loved.  Everything I've read by her has been great, again, a page-turner but also great complex characters - I've already got another of hers to pick up from the library.


After the Amanda Eyre Ward I didn't know what to read next, and started a few things and just couldn't get into them. Bert said I needed to get out of my comfort zone and said I should try The Blue Room by Georges Simenon...


...and, yeah, he was right (my comfort zone by the way is pretty much contemporary american women writers), as Simenon is great (and I wouldn't have picked it up, partly because it says 'Crime Masterworks' on the front - euch) and this book is really compelling, and insightful and interesting. It's about an affair and a murder in case you are into those kind of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...