Tuesday, 17 May 2011

sewing and being at home

Yesterday I finished the patchwork part of my second baby quilt, it worked out much better than the first, and am now thinking of making a third one! It's amazing how much you learn as you go along. I had enforced breaks from Sadie who just loves to sit on material mid sew.



But this is how it turned out:




I'm using the same material more or less as I used for the other baby quilt I made, but a different design (am using the word 'design' loosely here!)

Here they are side by side...


 
We also made 'egg salad' for sandwiches using a recipe from Alicia Silverstone's book 'The Kind Diet' ( I really love this book, it has loads of great super healthy recipes which are simple to make and chapters on nutrition and a big introduction about how Alicia went vegan.). 

All you do is mash up some tofu (alicia says firm,  we used silken) and then mix it up with the rest of the ingredients and chill - no cooking needed. We had it in sandwiches and it was really, really delicious.

Alicia says to mix 2 12 ounce cakes of firm tofu with 2 diced small onions, 2 celery stalks, 2 tablespoons of shoyu, 1 tablespoon of safflower oil 1 teaspoon of turmeric, half a teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon of vegan mayonnaise and an optional sprinkle of paprika.

We took Alicia as an inspiration and mashed up:
one cake of silken tofu, half an onion, we left out the celery (because celery is disgusting), 1 tablespoon soy sauce, olive oil instead of safflower and a bit more mayonnaise than suggested, and listened to Alicia about the turmeric and salt.  We also thought it could have done with a bit of lemon juice too.

It kind of looked like this:




which I know isn't much of a photo, but it really was good. What do you think of my glass? I bought a set from a charity shop a few years ago, sadly some of them broke, but I still have three left. They remind me of the glass that Lola drinks her pink milk from.


Also, just wanted to add a couple of photos from our quilt club - these are Victorian quilts and they are from our handling collection in work - as the name suggests, this means that you can pick them up and have a good look at them. I get different ones out each quilt club for inspiration.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, great post Sian. I was nodding in agreement to all of your pictures. I love the quilt that you are making, it looks so gorgeous. I have heard great thigns about Alica's book via Alanis Morrisette's website. I am a vegan myself, so I really must get this book.
    And Charlie and Lola(eep) I adore the books- and the milkshakes x

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thankyou! Alicia's book is good - there's lots to read in it aside from the recipes. It's super healthy (possibly even a bit too healthy for me!)but easy to follow and lots of simple things I hadn't thought of which taste really good - boiled brown rice mixed with fresh tomato, basil and olive oil really is good! (even tho it sounds pretty dull)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby quilt is so cute, and I too have a cat that likes to sit in inconvenient places! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! yep, sadie-cat can hear the sound of my material bag being opened a mile off!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...