Sunday, 26 June 2011

Dave Eggers


I think I've mentioned my Eggers love before...and here I go again.

As well as writing fabulous books, Eggers also makes his books look amazing. Visit McSweeney's to see all the beautiful books and the wonderful wonderful McSweeney's Quarterly.

'You Shall Know our Velocity' was Eggers's followup to the massive success that was 'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius'. I think I loved You Shall Know our Velocity (or YSKV) even more than AHWSG. Look at the cover! the book actually starts on the cover...



A few years later, the same book was brought out with a different cover (the book on the left in the picture) and also had an insert from another character in the book.

Eggers's most recent book is Zeitoun which came out in 2010 in the UK and is a non-fiction book about Hurricane Katrina and it's effects on one family. It's really wonderful, but also quite shocking and sad and was one of the best books I read last year (it would have been the best book I read last year, but Patti Smith went and wrote 'Just Kids' and no one else stood a chance).

2 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating that you dig velocity better than heartbreaking work. From an esthetic standpoint I'll give you the cover of velocity - but heartbreaking's introduction was worth at least TWO covers from an aesthetic point of view - let alone a literary pov. But I liked the lightness and eternal optimism of velocity as opposed to heartbreak. So I give you that.

    But I've been slightly disappointed that Mr. Eggers hasn't become his own David Foster Wallace - Foer - or Franzen. I expected much deeper, headier intense things from Eggers since his AHWOSG start. But Maybe he isn't less, just different.

    I heard a rumor that he's got a book on the way out. Have you heard about it yet? A hologram for the king? Just got a spot on Amazon in the last few days. Anyway - sorry for spamming your lovely site. Hopefully your readers will forgive you this once.

    Taylor (taylorholmes.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello taylor! i love your comments...
    i agree with you in that I also expected more from him writing wise - but I think perhaps that he has become more involved in writing political (?) non fiction and working within his community, and Mcsweeneys and all of that stuff are so great!
    I read AHWOSG when it first came out and wasn't that excited by it - finding it a bit long, I later re-read it and loved it. When i first read his work it seemed so exciting and so fresh. As for velocity, i just connected with it a lot more than heartbreaking... i think i read it quite soon after the death of a friend, so perhaps i just read it at the right time in my life and should re-read it to see if it's as good as i think it is!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...