Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Food!


I mentioned that for  my birthday dinner we had Mexican themed dinner, I am using the word 'themed' as neither of us know how to cook Mexican food. I did go to Mexico years ago and I mainly remember fruit with chilli powder and lime on it, that and going to Tower Records for English language magazines.

Anyway, Bert made a nice vegan spicy mince type affair which we had with tacos and fajitas, and I made a tomato salsa and a guacamole. The salsa was just fresh tomatoes chopped, minced garlic, finely chopped shallot, olive oil, chopped fresh chilli, a whole squeezed lime and salt and pepper. It was really good, but I don't go wild for too much raw garlic, so I think I would leave that out next time.


Guacamole was mushed up avocado, finely chopped shallot, fresh chopped coriander, a whole lime squeezed with olive oil and salt and pepper. Now that was delicious, so delicious that I made another batch the next day. Plus avocados are good for us right?


I've never really used limes before, but they make such a difference in cooking, and give a kind of more subtle flavour and a sweetness that you don't get with lemons.  Recently we have been shopping on line, which has been great but also we've been making mistakes - we accidentally ordered two giant packs of peas, a ridiculous amount of fresh tomatoes, and the last shop 8 limes.  So we had plenty of limes and I've been putting them in everything.


I had quite a bit of leftover salsa the next day so made some sweet potato wedges to go with it. Wedges are pretty easy, and everyone probably knows how to make them, but just in case....

I cut the sweet potatoes in to quarters or eighths depending on their size, and then parboil them for about 10 minutes. I try and remember to heat up the oven first and heat up the baking tray too (apparently this can stop them sticking).  You could then just add them to the tray with olive oil and salt and pepper, but if I have them I like to add fresh rosemary and sprinkle with smoked paprika and nutritional yeast flakes. Cook them until browned.


Today we had a French theme (?) which involved drinking red wine and watching a film called Paris with Juliette Binoche and Romain Duris in it.   To go with our wine we had bread, hummous (made by bert), olives, flat breads, tomatoes with basil and olive oil, and olive oil mixed with pomegranate vinegar and cherry vinegar.




Huh, that's quite a lot of food. But we haven't just been eating: I went to yoga this morning (actually a kind of yoga, pilates, tai chi cross with 90s music) which was ok, but the meditation at the end was amazing, it felt like it went on for ages and we focussed on different part of our bodies as part of it 'see it, feel it, let it go'...

And we've been reading, and doing laundry and shopping for backing material for my baby quilts (no joy) and all those other kind of daily life things.

Thank you for the birthday greetings, and I also have another follower! hurray! I love the word follower in the blog respect - it's like some kind of awesome cult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...