Thursday, 30 June 2011

Samphire


I bought some samphire. I've seen it being used on tv and then there it was in the supermarket so I had to try it. I love it's name... samphire... samphire... like a mixture of sapphire and, um, just regular fire. For those who don't know (according to the packet) it's a 'sea plant that grows mainly on tidal marshes. It has vibrant green stalks with a distinctive crisp texture and a characteristic saltiness.'  I've tried it raw and really it just tastes like you would imagine seaweed would taste - it has an almost jelly like centre and is pretty salty, and I am not 100% sure that I like it.  Apparently you can boil it slightly and eat it with butter like a fishy asparagus... I will give it a go. Anyone got any samphire tips that don't involve eating it with fish?

3 comments:

  1. I can imagine it going well with chives, dill, pine nuts and a lemon/pepper vinaigrette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to eat it a lot when I was a kid .. pickled .. had some for the first time in ages the other day and loved it so much I did a site !! http://www.samphire.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! a whole website? wow. i was not sure about it to be honest...the texture more than anything, but will give it another go. I do like the sound of it pickled tho (i think pickling anything is wise).
    have checked the site and i will be trying it again...

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...