Sunday, 19 June 2011

Vegan Cookbooks


I have lots of vegan cookbooks, some vegetarian and some carnivorous (eep, but sometimes it's easier to veganise meaty dishes than it is to veganise vegetarian ones... lots of vegetarian books are just cheese crazy! ).

These are the books I tend to use the most:


Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero is what I check when I think, 'huh, how do I make guacamole?' (or somesuch recipe) and it's pretty much always in there. It is packed full of recipes, but not many photos (and the photos they do have look a bit 70s food-ish), and has a great friendly style and it's got lots of basics and explanations for different vegan foods and oils and so on.  It's a really good book to have around...sometimes if I look something up in it and it's  not there, it's usually because it's in Moskowitz's previous book....

...Vegan with a Vengeance.  I like the pizza dough recipe in this one, and the scrambled tofu. Of course it has loads more good stuff in it and a nice clear design, but sadly no pictures.


Vegan Cupcakes take over the World by isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero is a lovely book and it has pretty pictures too! hurray! at last! I am not much of a baker, but I have made vanilla cupcakes and coffee cupcakes with a great deal of success! I also bought myself a piping bag about 3 months ago but still haven't plucked up the courage to use it. One day I will try the more fancy looking cakes at the back of the book....


Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm is also a very lovely book with delicious photographs taken by the author. The recipes in here are comfort foody and I love to make the weekend pancakes, corn fritters, breakfast sandwiches, and her mac and cheese. It's lovely food and easy recipes, but I wouldn't cook from it everyday.

The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone is super healthy with a macrobiotic bent. I like it because it's not the kind of food I usually eat, and it has recipes that sound kinda dull (brown rice with olive oil, fresh tomatoes, salt and pepper for example) but are really delicious. It also has lots of information about animal rights and Alicia's lifestyle.  I haven't made lots of recipes from it yet (but flicking through it to write this post I want to make lots more),but I love the tofu 'egg' salad sandwiches and the rice dishes and I'm going to be cooking more from it.


I've mentioned Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan before, and I love the fritatta's in it, the Pasta e Fagioli (pasta and bean broth) and the fact that there is everything you would need to know about Italian cooking in it.


What are your favourite cookbooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...