Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Sweet potato and roasted pepper soup


So, post-festival and Bert is not feeling well (all fluey and sore-throaty) so I thought soup would make him feel better. Last night in bed I was trying to make up a soup recipe... I decided to make sure the soup had garlic, ginger and chilli in it to be warming and make Bert feel better... and then as sweet potatoes are one of Bert's favourite things in life (really, I think his favourite things list goes something like, 1. sadie-cat, 2. books and cds, 3. sweet potatoes), I went with that too, and then thought that peppers would go well with it as well....

Anyways... here's how I made it.

I fried two smallish red onions in olive oil and after they'd cooked for a few minutes added a chopped red chilli, some chopped ginger (I use the one in a jar rather than totally fresh one as I don't use ginger very often) and two cloves of chopped garlic. I also sprinkled in some ground cumin and ground turmeric and cooked it all for about ten minutes.  Meanwhile I roasted some red peppers (I think there were about four of them and all red ones) for about 40 minutes and peeled them when they were done. To the soup I added three small white potatoes and about four or five sweet ones - all roughly chopped.  I added hot water and a bit of salt and sugar and let it cook until all the vegetables were soft. 

When it was all cooked I added a bunch of fresh coriander and the peeled roasted peppers (I kept a couple back for the garnish) and blended until smooth. I served it with homemade croutons, little bits of roasted pepper, coriander and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.

It was delicious and felt like it was doing us the world of good. I thought it might be magic soup when Bert seemed to pick up after eating it... but the feeling better didn't last for long poor thing.


oh, it was more warming rather than spicy...if you'd like more heat maybe add another chilli.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds and looks yummy! Thaks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...