Monday, 29 August 2011

Vegan 'Chicken' and Sweetcorn Soup


There's a chill in the air and flu in the house (actually Bert is back in work today -woo hoo), so soup is needed. This is like the chowder I often make except it had less corn in it and 'chicken'!!  We don't really go in for too much fake meats around here, preferring to stick with tofu and tempeh, but now and again it's nice to have a little change of texture.

In case you want to know how it's made, here's a quick recipe....

Fry two medium onions, a large clove of garlic, a red chilli, about 6 small potatoes, and some bits of 'chicken' (I had some of the frozen stuff, and I guess it was about 2 cups).  I also added some salt and some turmeric and then the corn of two cobs.  I put the heat down low and cover and leave for about 10/15 minutes for a bit of cooking. Then cover with hot water until everything is cooked. Once cooked, I ladled about a quarter of the soup into another bowl and blended it with a bunch of fresh parsley and returned it all to the pan. I then added a bit of soya milk and some more fresh parsley and served with a sprinkling of smoked paprika.

Any more soup suggestions/recipes for me? am running out....
x

3 comments:

  1. mmmm this looks delicious! I will have to try it one day!!! I make a borlotti soup the other day with croutons! It turned out pretty good! I will post the receipe as well! And I also baked vegan chocolate brownies in the weekend! and They were absolutely delicious!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been making a lot of soup lately, so I googled some recipes after reading your post.
    I like the sound of this one:

    Lurgy Soup

    ingredients:

    A little sunflower oil

    2 onions, chopped

    7 cloves of garlic, chopped

    1 courgette, chopped

    3 sticks of celery, chopped (yeah, everything is chopped)

    1 large sweet potato, peeled and (uh-huh) chopped

    1 small peeled white potato CHOPPED!

    2 tins of tomatoes

    about a cup of spring water (rinse out the tins with it)

    a handful of fresh sage leaves

    about 2 heaped tablespoons of dried arame seaweed

    1 tablespoon miso paste

    1 teaspoon of vecon vegetable stock (or any stock of choice, will also work fine without)

    into the first version I made I popped a small bowl of leftover vegetable curry, but a half teaspoon of curry powder will suffice if you want the spicy warmth for your poor throat

    himalayan rock salt to taste (or any other salt)

    optional fresh ground black pepper

    fresh parsley to garnish



    Fry the onion, garlic and vegetables in the oil a few minutes then add the tomatoes and all other ingredients EXCEPT salt and pepper. Bring to boil, turn down to simmer until potatoes are soft. Liquidise up with a hand blender (or jug if you don't have a hand one). Taste and see if you need salt - the miso and stock can be quite salty so you might not. Add salt and pepper if needed. Top with fresh chopped parsley and enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i love the name 'lurgy soup'... tho i refuse to put celery in anything....
    i will try it!!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...