Friday, 23 September 2011

potato soup

 Mama gave me a big bag of potatoes from her garden, and Soule Mama has a recipe for potato soup in her new book 'The Rhythm of Family'.  I know a sign when I see one - so I made myself some soup.   The recipe is pretty basic, just butter, onion, potatoes, stock and milk, Soule Mama also adds cheese and leeks, but I didn't have any leeks and don't eat cheese so I went plain.

I sauted a large onion and a lot of (um. maybe about 8 medium sized) potatoes in quite a bit of soya butter. I gathered from Soule Mama and watching the movie 'Julie and Julia' that you need a lot of butter in your potato soup, it was more butter than I have ever used before (although still less then the recipes I read called for). I added two chopped garlics, covered the pan and let cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes, then I added hot water and a little salt and cooked until the potatoes were soft.  I blended a couple of ladles of the soup with some soya milk and fresh parsley.


That's it! simple huh? It's nice and creamy with a delicate flavour. It reminds me of a cross between mashed potato and a parsley sauce.... which I don't think is a bad thing. This isn't a soup I am going to be making regularly but it's a great way to use up a glut of potatoes, although I do still have more potatoes left...

1 comment:

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...