Sunday, 18 September 2011

Sunday Music

Sunday Music is going to be my weekly blogpost about music!! am already worried about being able to keep it up, but am going to ask Bert to take part and, ooo, maybe I could ask other people??

I was inspired by Knitxcore's Vinyl Monday, and I wanted to pick a song I like with a bit of a personal (rubbish) story to go with it.

So, for my first Sunday Music I am picking Someday (from his first album Guitar Town) by Steve Earle.


Until about last year I didn't really know anything about Steve Earle... then Bert started buying his Cds.... (I think leading on from his love of Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt) and bought a biography about him which he made me read (there are lots of wives and drugs in it) and then he played in Cardiff and we went to see him... and then I watched the film The Bridge to Terebithia where Zooey Deschanel sang Someday with a group of school children which I thought was an odd choice condsidering that the song is all about getting out of this place. (plus, have you watched the Bridge to Terebithia?? it is a tragic). The following is just a little bit of Zooey..


Now, people who I have discussed Steve Earle with (that would probably just be Bert) might question my choice of Someday as my Earle choice as I also adore Fearless Heart (nice 80s guitar in it and I love it so much I almost want a tattoo that says 'Fearless Heart' on it) and Little Rock 'n' roller (a song about his son - I cannot resist a song about kids - I shall be talking about Bowie's Kooks at some point soon!), but Someday is a bit of a grower and it also has great lyrics

'There ain't a lot that you can do in this town
You drive down to the lake and then you turn back around
You go to school and you learn to read and write
So you can walk into the county bank and sign away your life'

(see why I think it's a weird choice to sing with a group of kids Zooey??)

Any Steve Earle fans out there? also, has anyone watched Treme? Steve is in that but I haven't seen it yet, although it is on my love film list.x

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...