Sunday, 30 October 2011

Stwmp Naw Rhyw

picture credit
Shaheen from allotment2kitchen kindly commented that she was 'Looking forward to reading more about Welsh Halloween edible treats'...and I just wanted to say that 'treat' might be too strong a word for what is essentially mashed veg.... (but go and look at shaheen's blog which is full of treats galore!)

ok. So Stwmp Naw Rhyw is a traditional Welsh Halloween food which loosely translates as 'mash of nine sorts'. The important part is the 'nine' part as it HAS to have nine ingredients otherwise it's wrong.. the nine is LUCKY!! so you could remove one of the ingredients and replace it with another... I often replace the pepper with butter (the soy version) as I don't believe you can have mash without butter.

Here's the recipe.... (which you know you can use loosely, as who knows what a 'medium potato' or a small turnip is.... and am not weighing peas anytime soon either)

4 medium sized potatoes
2 carrots
2 parsnips
2 small turnips
225g peas
1 large leek
a dash of milk
salt and pepper to taste.

so you pretty much just boil them all up and mash them (apart from the leek which I usually fry softly in some butter and add it to the mash). and that's it.

Now, if you are having a halloween get together with a group of single people.. you might want to hide a wedding ring in the mash and then all eat from the same bowl. Whoever finds the ring will be the first to marry. Hurray!

picture credit
Last week while doing my half term art activities, someone mentioned that it was similar to the Irish Colcannon... and having done some extensive research by googling it.... it kind of is but it isn't. Colcannon seems to be a more more potato and cabbage based mash, although it is eaten at Halloween and coins are hidden in it.

I don't have any pictures of 'Stwmp' as I am making it tomorrow.... so have just stolen some halloweeny type pictures from pinterest instead.x
photo credit

4 comments:

  1. Hmm..this sounds interesting I enjoy learning something new!! Must see it :) Happy Halloween!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so so much for mentioning me on your blog and also being kind to link to my blog. I am Welsh, but I have to admit never really grew up celebrating Halloween though that is all changing now. I did not know about Stwmp Naw Rhyw - your right it is very different from the Irish Colconnan. I may make some for next halloween and tease my young nephews and nieces with the hidden ring (and getting married very YOUNG - they are all under 10 years!) - rest assured i will monitor the eating of the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is yummy! and also it makes LOADS so you'll be eating stwmp for days. I don't think it's something that people cook a lot these days, and it wasn't something i'd heard of either until i went to work in a museum...

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...