Thursday, 29 December 2011

bert's quilt? yeah, i finished it.

I am not even sure how long this took... about 7 months? here are the pictures!

the front....

 the back....
  a few felt hearts...


 Sadie helped a lot with the quilt. mainly by sitting on it.
 here you can see the stitching on the back - I went for quite a dark thread (too dark maybe?)
and sewed star shapes. I read recenlty that it was a good idea to sew pieces of turquoise into your clothes to bring you good luck while travelling - it creates a protective force field around you. So I sewed a bit of turquoise in to Bert's quilt... you can see the little crystal in the photo above...
...and then I sewed the turquoise under the white heart. You can still see the turquoise through the felt which is great.  I'm going to sew a little crystal into all my quilts from now on.  How cute would it be to get some crystals for insomnia or ones for happy dreams and sew them into a quilt??

good points....
  • overall am pretty happy with the quilt
  • I like the colours
  • I am awesome at binding now.
bad points....
  • the sewing on the patchwork top is not great...
  • I found this quite a difficult patchwork shape to work with... and had to unpick quite a few times
  • the actual quilting could be better too... I maybe should have done a simpler quilting pattern... maybe just straight lines.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sian this is lovely! You are so talented and I would never have had the patience to keep at it for so long. Will you make Sadie her own quilt or does she prefer sitting on Bert's? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw - you are lovely! i am planning on making sadie her own quilt with ribbons and bells on it and pockets for toys and treats....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, well done. I like the colours you've chosen as they're a nice mix of masculine and feminine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks great! (and i love the turqouise sentiment!)

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...