The recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero... here it is, tho you should probably buy the book as it's unlikely that i'll ever be making the nutty cupcakes coz bert's got allergies...
anway, the recipe, shortened.
1 and a quarter cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
half teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
quarter teaspoon ground cloves
quarter teaspoon salt
half cup of vegetable oil
third of a cup of light molasses
half cup maple syrup
quarter cup soy milk
2 tablespoons of soy yogurt
1 and a half teaspoons grated lemon zest
quarter cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt into a bowl and mix
- whisk oil, molasses, maple syrup, soy milk, yogurt and lemon zest into a bowl
- add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just smooth. fold in the chopped crysallized ginger
- add to cupake liners (my mix made 12 cupcakes)
- cook for 19 to 22 minutes and insert a knife into the center to see if they are done.
quarter cup vegan plain cream cheese and quarter cup margarine mixed together. Sift 2 cups of icing sugar/confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth and creamy. add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a tablespoon of lemon zest.
This frosting is the best frosting I've made!
there were a few things I did differently with the cupcake recipe though...
I don't know what the difference is between baking powder and soda so I just go for the powder (does anyone know the difference?), the thought of crystallized ginger was too much for me so I skipped that and I also skipped the yogurt and ground cloves as I didn't have them.
YUM yum yum.
I also made a batch of vanilla cupcakes in case the gingerbread were a disaster, which of course they weren't!