Sunday, 4 March 2012

bert's been reading William Faulkner....

...it's taken him a month to read 'Light in August'. His review on goodreads made me laugh out loud. Here it is....

"That bastard, lord!" says old Doc Hines midway through Light In August, which is exactly what I thought about Faulkner as I read it. I struggled with this'un. I'm not saying the blame is entirely down to Faulkner, I read the book in small bursts, mostly during my breaks at work (or when I had the strength to face it) so most of my recollections involve eating bagels, feeling sleepy, with that weird putrid egg smell coming out of the sink. But holy craps was this novel flabby - whilst there were passages of utter beauty, just great great writing, did we really need to know the entire family histories of every single freaking character? I mean, Christ Faulkner..every time a new character was introduced (which happened a lot) I felt a wave of anxiety come over me. Followed by sleepys. When it was good though, it was some of the best almost trance-like writing I've ever read - incredibly intense, amorphous, revelatory, as though written in a frenzy in which Faulkner had to create whole new words in a hurry 'in the grey yetdark' 'manmovement' 'chocolatecolored' and how about this; 'It was as though he carried within him, somewhere within that inert and sighing mass of flesh, the secret itself: that which moved and evoked them as with a promise of something beyond the sluttishness of stuffed entrails and monotonous days.' Those slutty, slutty entrails..

1 comment:

  1. i love "a rose for emily"! so so good. bert's pretty clever :-)

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...