Tuesday, 20 March 2012

books

this is what I am reading at the moment... and I really like it.
I haven't written much about what I've been reading recently... and I know how much you want to know about these things....
Some of my favourite books from the last few months are...
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick - this is lovely. Maybe you've seen the movie? if so, it's pretty similar and has fantastic illustrations. It's magical stuff.
Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick - I liked this one even more than Hugo Cabret. It's so sweet and magical. It is made up of  two interlinking stories, one in 1927 New York (told through illustrations) and the other 1977 New York (told through text).
Slanted and Enchanted: The Evolution of Indie Culture by Kaya Oakes - fascinating book that looks at indie culture from books, movies and music to crafts..
Girls to the Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution by Sara Marcus - I found this so inspiring. It looks at riot grrrl and feminism of the 90s and it's just great.
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - cute, cute cute.
Zippermouth by Laurie Weeks - druggy, wonderful, feminist novel for fans of Michelle Tea and Eileen Myles
Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner - this is about a young poet living in Spain. It's smart and well written but I also find it a touch bleak.
Cassandra at the Wedding by Dorothy Baker - I LOVED this one, it had such a great narrative voice.
that's it for now. Have you read anything good recently?x


5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to check out one of these books for my next read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have SO much catching up to do with fiction :/. Since I'm not the biggest reader, I usually choose non-fiction books ... Because, yes, I happen to be an ignorant, too, haha :/.

    I love being surrounded by books! :) That's why I volunteer at the library :p.

    Hope you're having a nice day!

    Miki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still ploughing through 'The Woman in White' - nearly there! Nick and Norah is on my list though, have you seen the film? Which should I do first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you liking the woman in white lakota?? nick and norah - the film and the book are pretty similar... i may have liked the film a wee bit more - but that might be because of inappropriate crush on michael cera.

      Delete
  4. what a list! i'm going to check a few out :-)

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...