Saturday, 28 April 2012

cauliflower and tahini soup



I found this recipe in Elizabeth Bard's book 'Lunch in Paris' and I followed it to the letter (other than the stock bit).... I thought it sounded kinda plain, but actually it was so good. Elizabeth calls it 'subtly flavoured', but it was much more flavourful than I thought it would be. I even went out and bought poppy seeds to garnish it with like Elizabeth said... am not sure what they added to it, but they sure did look pretty.

Here's the recipe!

3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
1kg (1 medium) cauliflower, cut into 1cm cubes
5 and a half cups of chicken broth (yeah, I ignored this bit and used veg stock)
1and a half tablespoons of tahini
poppy seeds

heat the olive oil, add the onion and saute until softened but not coloured, 5 to 7 minutes.
add the cauliflower and stir to coat. Add half a cup of stock, cover and steam for 20 minutes, stirring once at the halfway point.
add the remaining broth, bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Elizbeth says not to overcook because it can get stinky.
blend until smooth, stir in to the tahini.
serve sprinkled with poppy seeds.



Elizabeth does not mention salt and pepper... but I added some at the end.

ah. yum. I had two bowls straight off.

5 comments:

  1. It has gone kinda soupy, with the dark, wet and cold weather. I ate tons of cauliflower soup when I lost weight - it's very low in sugar.
    If you have loads of poppy seeds left, I can recommend using them in your bread recipes. I use them in my naan breads, but I won't share the recipe because it has natural yoghurt in (do you have a substitute?). X

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has gone kinda soupy, with the dark, wet and cold weather. I ate tons of cauliflower soup when I lost weight - it's very low in sugar.
    If you have loads of poppy seeds left, I can recommend using them in your bread recipes. I use them in my naan breads, but I won't share the recipe because it has natural yoghurt in (do you have a substitute?). X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!
    I'll have to try this
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap, I made cauliflower soup yesterday too! Similar recipe, but with potatoes, and without the tahini and poppy seeds. Next time I'll try adding some tahini. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...