Thursday, 23 August 2012

cardiff craftivists

I wrote about Craftivists before when Sarah Corbett came to Cardiff to run a session dealing with the issues faced by refugees when they move to the UK. We made some mini protest banners and hung them around Cardiff and St Fagans: National History Museum.

This time, Victoria Stephens set up the meeting and it was held in the yurt in Milgi in cardiff, which is a great venue that has loads of vegan food and nice drinks (I had a lavender lemonade! whoop!). We took part in the summer jamming project which links up with Oxfam and deals with global food justice. The idea is that you embroider a message on a fabric jam lid - something like 'If we don't change we don't grow' - then attach the lid to some home made jam (using a tomato jam recipe from a Kenyan woman named Christine who is part of a woman's cooperative trying to make ends meet in order to look after children orphaned by HIV AIDS) and give the jam to friends, or perhaps your MP to spread the word.

I am going to be running a similar stitching session as part of the St Fagans food festival on the 8th and 9th of September. If you would like to pop along let me know! Also I'm planning on setting up a Cardiff Craftivist group, so please let me know if you would llike to be a part of that too!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful project. I'm a bit far away from you to make your workshop, but I hop both it and your Craftivist group go very well!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, this is so cool! And I dig the motto "If we don't change, we don't grow" ;).

    Hope you're making cool plans for the weekend! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really sad to miss out on the milgi's craftivist meeting :( but the a craftivist group sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we missed you!! i've started a facebook page and a twitter account... let me know what kind of craftivisty things you would like to do!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, whats the addresses for them? I'll go and join.

      Delete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...