Tuesday, 2 October 2012

tah-dah! tofu and caramelised onion pie

what are your thoughts on tofu?
I really like it but it's only in the last few years that I've learnt to cook with it properly (or you know, so that it tastes good). I think when people say they hate tofu (and feel free to correct me!) is when they just have slabs of it just cooked without anything added and it just tastes really bland... but I love it scrambled, marinated in soy sauce and ginger, made into a fritatta with potato and onion, blended with lemon and sugar to make a lemon cheesecake and so many other yummy things!

Yesterday I made a tofu and caramelised onion pie and it was really delicious... a little bit quichey I suppose....


so, wanna know how to make it?
it has a pastry base which I blind baked first (although am not sure how necessary that was) and layered it with caramelised onions and then put the tofu mix on the top and then baked for about twenty minutes.

for the onions I just sliced up about 8 onions and cooked on a low heat in vegan butter and olive oil and a little sugar for about twenty minutes or so until they were soft and brown.

the tofu mixture was silken tofu blended tother with some soy milk, nutritional yeast flakes, turmeric and salt and pepper. It was quite thick - kind of a double cream consistency.

it's pretty simple and I ate it with salad.

Am linking up with Lakota's ta-dah tuesday because I think it's only right to share my pie news....also Lakota has made some mocha squares which look delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Growing up in a Japanese family I got used to tofu as a baby and I frankly love it as it is with just a bit of soy sauce and maybe some chopped green onions. I think I should give this a try, though, looks really good! ;)

    Hope you're having a nice week! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind tofu, ate quite a lot of it when I was in HK but I must admit I wouldn't know where to start with cooking it. Love caramelised onions though so am sure this pie is good.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!
    I love caramelised onions!
    I made a quiche with tofu once,need to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tofu is pretty much a blank slate for adding all kinds of lovely flavors. The 'quiche' sounds and looks delicious. I make an amazing Chocolate Cherry Mousse pie with silken tofu and love spicy scrambled tofu.

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...