Thursday, 7 March 2013

frozen tofu

look at these little tofu outside! I bet they are cold... maybe frozen?
have I written about frozen tofu before?
hope not.
I kept reading about frozen tofu and thinking it would be something really complicated, but really all that's happening is that you freeze it, then defrost it and cook as usual, which seems a bit pointless right?
ahh, no, it CHANGES! if you freeze and then defrost tofu it changes the texture of it, it absorbs flavours easier, and it also holds together better. I am completely sold on tofu cooked this way and marinate it first in maple syrup, oil, soy sauce and chilli flakes.
to freeze the tofu you can just get your pack of tofu and chuck it in the freezer, but you may want to drain the water out first and pop it in a plasic bag. Then you can just let it defrost out of the fridge for a day, or if you are in a hurry plunge it in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes.
frozen tofu can also be called night tofu, it's name coming from being left outside all night to freeze.
are you a tofu freezer?


5 comments:

  1. Yes! Once I read a tip on freezing it for a better texture, I haven't gone back since. It absorbs flavor much easier, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Scrambled tofu frozen first is better too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've always frozen it! it's the only way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, but that picture made me laugh!
    I am planning to experiment with tofu and make the rest of the household try it. They are dubious.
    x

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...