Saturday, 1 June 2013

books i read in may

here's what I read in may! 
whoop.
I love chi's sweet home. am going to have to buy volumes 7, 8 and 9 too.
Thought I should try Pretty Little Liars as the tv show is so good... and enjoyed the book too. I read 'From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil B Frankweller' as the author - E.L. Konigsburg recently died and this book is meant to be a classic. It was written in the 60s and pretty big in the USA it seems, but I'm not sure it was here so much, anyway, it was good too, a little old fashioned, but lovely.
Laurel's Kitchen is a vegetarian cookbook written in the 70s that all the guys on the communes read. It's got a really lovely introduction and the recipes are interesting too, though perhaps a little trad-veggie.
Love, love, love the Rebecca Solnit book. Solnit has become one of my most favourite writers, she is just wonderful.This book (non-fiction) was about storytelling and memory, peaches, frankenstein, Iceland... and other good, fascinating things.
Really enjoyed 'The God of Animals' by Aryn Kyle even though it was a novel about horses (although I love the tv show Heartland so maybe I am a horse novel reader). 
and guess I should mention 'The Red Queen' by Philippa Gregory which I read as I was joining in on my mum's reading group. It's set in Tudor times when Henry VIII was growing up. Although am interested in this time period, this book was not really my thing.
I have also been trying to read Hemingway's 'For whom the Bell Tolls' this May, but it's proving to be a little bit of a struggle... I shall continue though. This June I am also fully intending to read Moby Dick in a month. It's just 20 pages a day. what could go wrong?

what are you reading?
anything good?
x

8 comments:

  1. I read "From the Mixed-Up Files..." in school as a little guy! i remember liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are a super reader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you had a very busy month of reading! Will have to take a look at some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. i'm going to be reading that for reading group soon! am slightly scared.

      Delete
  5. I know I read The Mixed Up Files.. but can't remember a thing about it. I have Laurel's Kitchen and a bunch of other hippie veg books from the 60s and 70s. But it seems I get all my recipes of the internet these days.
    I need to join Good Reads as I'd like to see your other recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...