Sunday, 30 June 2013

burgers and mayo (vegan obvs)

Bert bought us a new cook book yesterday. Burgers! and they are every which way!
The author writes a blog so you can go and check his recipes out, although I can't find the one I just tried out on there.
I am pretty interested in cooking vegan burgers as it's sometimes hard to get the consistency right, so this book is great as it tells you to combine all the ingredients without egg (though there are a few recipes with egg in this book as it's a vegetarian/vegan one) using beans, potatoes, flax seed or rice. 
I've never made burgers with rice so it has been quite exciting times here at casa lile-pastore.
so...
I made the beetroot and brown white rice burgers.
mainly because I bought beetroots yesterday and roasted them and then didn't really know what to do with them. plus, I am not 100% sure I like beetroot, and am never sure how to cook it.
anyways, if I was following this recipe properly I wouldn't have roasted the beetroots I would have grated them. There were many things I didn't do correctly with this recipe, like I used a tin of mixed beans instead of black or kidney beans and white instead of brown rice... but it turned out really good although I imagine it would have been even better with the proper ingredients.
here is the recipe from the book:

3 medium beetroot, scrubbed clean and ends trimmed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion diced 
half a teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
225g/8oz cooked black or kidney beans
65g/2 and a half oz cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
freshly ground pepper

then... you grate the beetroot and set aside
cook the onion in the oil until it softens and then add the beetroot and salt and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the beetroots are soft. Add the vinegar and set aside.
in a bowl mash the beans and fold in the beetroot mixture, rice, parsley and black pepper and then mix up and shape into patties.
fry on a high heat for a minute then turn down to medium heat for 2-3 minutes and then turn over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.

Lukas says we should eat them in a bun with pickled red onions (the recipe is in the book) but I didn't have any red onions so we had them with homemade tofu mayo and rocket.
how do you make tofu mayo??
here's how!
This recipe is from the book Veganomicon but without following the amounts....
really, all it is is a block of silken tofu whizzed up with some cider vinegar, oil, agave nectar, salt and pepper. We just do it all to taste and it's super good and lasts for about 3 days in the fridge.

Am looking forward to trying out more burger recipes from our new book.
do you have any veggieburger recipes to share?
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...