Thursday, 6 June 2013

homemade gnocchi (vegan style)

we made gnocchi!
I was slightly nervous about making gnocchi... I thought it would be really hard to get right and it would all smoosh together in the bottom of the pan. But, I think the stars aligned for our gnocchi making session as it was just perfect.

First we consulted a cookbook - 'Nonna's Italian Kitchen. Delicious Home-Style Vegan Cuisine' and then we consulted a real nonna (bert's mum) and then we were ready to go.

We decided to bake the potatoes. So we put four large potatoes in the oven and baked until soft, then we mashed them in a bowl with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and then added flour a little at a time until we got a dough. The dough shouldn't be too sticky - same sort of texture as if you were making a pizza dough.

we even bought this fancy flour....
using plenty of flour so the dough doesn't stick, roll it out into sausages....
....and slice into little squares.
then press a fork onto each square (I could use some practice here) so that the sauce will stick to it and the gnocchi will cook through properly.
Bert's mum suggested that we leave them for a little while before cooking, so we left them out for ten minutes....
then we added them to a big pot of boiling water until they floated to the top.
we got them out with a spoon and put them in a colander rather than just draining them the usual way.
(to avoid the smooshing)

we had it with a fresh tomato sauce, basil and vegan mozzarella
it really was the best thing ever.
I can't stop thinking about it.

have you made gnocchi? 
any tips?
I want to make a pumpkin one now....

6 comments:

  1. Ohmygodi'mstarving! And I love gnocchi - they look great x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These gnocchi look amazing! I just made myself some spinach ones but they certainly did not look as pretty and good as yours!

    Hope you're having a great weekend! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my blog Sian re Hunky. I am sorry I never got to meet you there, but I have a feelign our paths will still cross. I plan to do some veg/an food stalls in South Wales - if its something you interested in being kept informed about can you leave your e mail details at hunkydoryscafe@hotmail.co.uk
    kind wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! Gnocchi seems like one of those things that can go so wrong. So glad yours turned out delicious.

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...