Sunday, 21 July 2013

a samphire off

We had a samphire off. (we hadn't really cooked with samphire before, so we weren't sure what was going on) Actually, it was a samphire, asparagus and tofu off. Same ingredients, same place, different chefs. My dish is the top photo, Bert's is the one below. 
I went with roasted asparagus and a little lemon, my samphire was cooked slightly and then fried with shallots and vegan butter and nutritional yeast flakes, and the tofu was marinated with soy sauce, maple syrup, ginger, garlic and chilli.
Bert parboiled his asparagus and samphire and then fried them with lots of vegan butter and lemon. He made a tofu scramble with spring onions. Man, that scramble was the business.
Anyway, it was officially decided by us that it was a draw, although I think maybe Bert's samphire was a touch better. 
Have you had samphire? It's good, but I find that if it's just boiled or steamed it has a texture that I am not happy with (possibly a bit like a fleshy cactus).

2 comments:

  1. You know what would be nice with that? Peas! Oh no - I remember now, you ate them all at work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah! i can't stop eating those peas!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...