Monday, 8 July 2013

vegan mushroom burgers and red cabbage slaw

how do you feel about mushrooms?
I have mixed feelings.
I quite like them raw and I really liked them fried, but fried HARD so that they are almost crispy and possibly charred.
What I don't like is that in between bit where they get squishy and almost snail-like. 
Sometimes if you have breakfast out they almost taste boiled. is that a thing? boiling mushrooms? 
because that is DISGUSTING.
But I do like mushroom flavour and I also like mushroom burgers!
following another recipe from the burger book bert bought (all the b's)
I made Mushroom burgers with portabello, shitake and chestnut mushrooms, along with some potato and some barley, thyme and balsamic vinegar. 
and then I went ahead and made a red cabbage and mint slaw.
and it was all good.

7 comments:

  1. I need a good veggie burger recipe - so I shall wait until you have tried them all out for me. The beany ricey ones sound interesting - I'll look forward to more burger related posts x

    ReplyDelete
  2. my feelings towards mushrooms are similar to yours, saying that I too like mushroom burgers. I think its because the flavour is more robust. When cooked on there own they just leek water and turn a horrid texture and don't look that pretty either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slaw looks so good!
    I love raw mushrooms with houmous on!
    Yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm they look yummy! I'm with you on the mushroom thing, no boiled mushrooms allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it weird how texture plays such a huge role in our food preferences. I don't mind rubbery cooked mushrooms:) But, I can't stand the fuzz on peaches or the texture of rice pudding (vegan version of course). Those burgers sound really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm this must be really good!!! I have to cook something now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushroom burgers sound really good! Yum! :p

    Hey, I sent you an e-mail yesterday to ask for your address, have you received it?

    Hope you're having a nice week! ;D

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...