Tuesday, 20 August 2013

beetroot


any beetroot thoughts?
Mom and Pops gave us a vegetable box the other day and it had beetroots in it. I didn't really know what to do with them, although I am quite partial to a beetroot salad.
Anyways, I decided to go for borscht, inspired in part by reading the following poem by Heather Christle. 

 'Soup is One Form of Salt Water' 
I am making borscht      please do not laugh at me      I seem to have ruined my soul      the quality of television programming grows stronger all the time      soon we will live in the ocean      we will all return to the ocean      my hands are bright pink      like I have been applauding you for hours      my love for you is louder than I know      I saw a show last night      there were four thousand brides left in Iceland      I was laughing      but it was not funny      the brides looked embarrassed      and cold      I must not wash anywhere but a tide pool      I must use starfish      to scrub at my hands      I am writing this to say      I am not leaving you forever      I am going to get better      and then I’ll come home

I made the borscht with some onions, potatoes, carrots and beetroots, fried together first and then simmered with water. I also added caraway seeds, agave, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper.
when it was all done I blended it.
It was super delish and bright red (I'm thinking it would be a good halloween dish).
It was too dark to take a photo though.... maybe tomorrow.
how do you cook beetroots?
(the poem is a bit sad isn't it? although my love for all of you lot  is louder than I know)

9 comments:

  1. Roast them - they're yummy. (Boil em a bit first so they don't take so long in the oven). Some salt and balsamic make them extra delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I roast them too. They are yumbo in a roast vege medley or salad, but I keep them separate until the end so they don't stain the other veg!
    I do love tinned beetroot, I confess, I love all things pickled and vinegary. Home pickled beetroot is much nicer though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek borscht, I have grown to like beetroot over the years, but borscht still does not win me over - I tend to roast them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. three votes for roasting!! i have previously roasted them but wasn't too excited by it. i love the borscht!! i went to russia a few years ago and we had borshct with cava and vodka. sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. although i understand your 'grown to like beets' thing shaheen, they taste kind of odd and earthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I vote for roasting, too. That way you can put them in whole and just ping off the skin by hand when they're done. Add balsamic, olive oil, salt and use to top some puy lentils. Yum! I would add goat's cheese too, but not sure if there's a vegan equivalent. This is my first comment! hope you're suitably impressed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am!! i thought, is this MY shelley? and it is! ha!
      fine. next time i'm roasting.x

      Delete
  7. I must confess I am a beetroot lover, in salads, roasted, and to the disgust of my family I even make beetroot cake which my husband thinks tastes like soil !! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment...happy weekend, Trixi

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi hun- thanks for linking up to the Kitchen Series over at Poppyfoxathome it’s so good to have you on board. I’m super excited about this. The link worked it seemed l just had to reinstall it. {I’m sure l will get the hang of it at some point}. Beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables they stand 8 cms tall in tight little rows in my veggie patch waiting to grow and turn themselves into all manner of yumminess. This is one of my favourite recipes- I roast bite size pieces of pumpkin, beetroot, onion, garlic, carrot and parsnips in oven until cooked with a drizzle of olive oil, rosemary and thyme. then mix with cooked quinoa that has been cooked in chicken stock. It's so yum, Nom, Nom.
    Also,
    Here is the link for this week for you. Hope you are having a great week, if your tissue box isn’t empty and your aren’t surrounded by sickies you’re doing better than l am hehehe.
    The kitchen Series : lemon madeira and cake bling. New blogpost and recipe link up. http://www.poppyfoxathome.com/2013/08/the-kitchen-series-lemon-madeira-cake.html
    x mummafox

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...