Wednesday, 28 August 2013

gnocchi

Do you remember when we made gnocchi? It's right over here. Last time we made it, we had it with a simple tomato sauce, but this time we decided to eat it with roasted butternut squash.
The ingredients for gnocchi are really simple, but it's just all a bit of a faff. Halfway through making it I swore I'd never make it again... but then it was so delicious, I'm sure once I've recovered it will be back on the menu.
Here's the gnocchi before it's cooked. Doesn't it look cute?
I piled them all up on this plate and while I was doing it I thought that it was a mistake and I was right. They all stuck together. Really you need to lay them out not touching each other for a little while.
here it is with the squash. 
The squash was roasted and then added to some cooked shallots, chilli, garlic, rosemary and shitake mushrooms. Plus lots of olive oil. 
It was really good, but I think next time I would stick to a simpler accompaniment - prob tomatoes. 

(oh, and to make the gnocchi itself.... all you need to do is bake some potatoes, then mash with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Add flour until you get a dough that's not too sticky. Roll  out into sausages and cut in to little shapes. Cook the gnocchi in batches in boiling water. It hardly takes any time at all to cook, just a few minutes and the gnocchi will rise to the top.  Overcooking makes them squidgy, so don't do it!)

I'm linking up with the kitchen series over at poppy fox at home

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! We have really similar tastes in food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you move to the UK so we can have dinner?

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...