Monday, 2 September 2013

books i read in august

I'm not sure how I managed to read nine books this august.... 
Lots of them were good too. 
The books I read were:

Love and Haight by susan Carlton
The London Train by Tessa Hadley
Strange Weather in Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami
Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
Heroines by Kate Zambreno
The Trees The Trees by Heather Christle
Collages by Anais Nin
Fairyland: A Memoir of my Father by Alysia Abbott
Wither by Lauren DeStefano

My favourite was Fairyland by Alysia Abbott. It's a memoir about growing up in San Francisco in the 70s and 80s with a gay dad (her mother died when she was little) who later suffers from AIDS. It's really wonderful, is is sad, but there are lots of lovely father/daughter bits and lots about San Franciso itself and writing and writers. I super recommend it!
Staying on the San Francisco theme, I also really enjoyed Love and Haight by Susan Carlton, which is a young adult book set in 70s San Francisco when a young girl goes there to get an abortion - tender, sensitive and sweet.
Strange Weather in Tokyo is a lovely story about food and friendship set in Japan. It's got great passages about eating and drinking, how come japanese fiction is so good?
Someday, Someday, Maybe is a novel by Lauren Graham. Yep! THE Lauren Graham, as in Lorelai from Gilmore Girls!
It's set in 90s New York where the main character is a struggling actress... and I imagine it's pretty autobiographical. It's a fun easy to read, with dashes of Gilmore Girls style humour, I enjoyed it a whole heap.

I'm over on goodreads if you want to be my buddy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation of Fairyland. I'm halfway through it and am really enjoying it. I see from the book jacket that the author lives in my town!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...