Thursday, 12 September 2013

tofu frittata and the rest of the vegbox....

slices of tofu frittata...
Shaheen asked how to make tofu frittata. here ya go Shaheen!
sometimes I make it in a tray, and sometimes I make little muffin sized portions, which are pretty cute for lunch boxes. 
(the photos in this post are a little grim... I need a camera... rather than just taking them on my phone. Anyways, on with the show)
The recipe is from Nonna's Italian kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan. It's a vegan italian cookbook which I bought sometime early on in my relationship with bert in an attempt to make him the kind of food his mama used to make....
The ingredients for the frittata are as follows:

1 pound medium firm tofu
6 tablespoons flour
quarter cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon water or dry white wine
1 teaspoon baking powder
half a teaspoon of salt
half a teaspoon of turmeric
quarter teaspoon pepper

you then need to just mix it all up in a blender and then you can add anything you fancy - potatoes, sweet potatoes, roasted veg, spinach, onions, garlic and so on and so on.
I just use the recipe as a guide and often find that the batter is a little dry so add olive oil or more water..
once it's all mixed together, pop it in an oven proof dish and cook it for about 20-30 minutes. 
You can eat it hot but it's pretty squishy and I prefer it cold when it's firm. It's great for breakfast and lunch boxes.
As for the rest of  my vegbox... (for part one see here) this is what went down:

although a couple of you lovelies recommended that I make braised lettuce and peas, I ignored you and went with lettuce and pea soup.
It was pretty good. Bert refused to try it. 

Beans! I blanched them and then cooked them with garlic and chili. We had them with potatoes (from the veg box) and veggieburgers. They were yum!
once all those greens were sorted out I could relax a little...
and make soup. It was carrots, potatoes and red lentils. I also added some dumplings, because who can resist a dumpling? no one, that's who.
so, after all that I was just left with a red pepper and two courgettes, so I roasted them right up and popped them on a homemade pizza. 
vegbox challenge?
challenge completed.

2 comments:

  1. I have been craving frittata so bad, and tofu scramble just wasn't doing it for me. Thanks for sharing, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you soooo much for posting the recipe Sian, I am sure i have a vegan recipe for this in one of my vegan cookbooks, but your tofu frittata just looks so good. I am def. bookmaking and hope to make in the next week.

    I was never a fan of dumplings, the first time i had them they were just too stodgy for me and put me right off, but I like them now. Shame that Bert did not try your soup - should have gone for the braised peas and lettuce :)

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...