Thursday, 20 March 2014

books read.. january/february 2014

we love reading over here.
So far this year I've read 17 books
some of those have been amazing.
some not so much.
These are the books I read in January and February... 

January....

Girls, Visions and Everything by Sarah Schulman - 80s New York - one of my favourite things to read about
Hell-Bent by Benjamin Lorr - a memoir about bikram yoga. Love reading yoga memoirs and this one is fascinating as it's all about competitive hot yoga.
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles - reading group book which was frothy and fun and set in New York in the 30s
The Days of Anna Madrigal by Armistead Maupin - delightful Tales of the City novel. May have cried
Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld - thought this was ok, slightly disappointed as loved Sittenfeld's previous books
My Dog Tulip by J.R Ackerly - a memoir about a dog from 1956, slightly charming, slightly odd
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - not my kind of thing at all... would have given up on it, but was doing a book quiz for my mum.

February....
Little Fluffy Gigolo Pelu volume 2 by Juko Mizuno - gah. cuteness and weirdness all wrapped up in pretty drawings
Before I Die by Candy Chang - Candy Chang is an artist focusing on community art, really fascinating.
The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst - reading group book for february. well written and interesting but a little long for me.
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - lovely and charming young adult novel set in 1986

have you read any of these?
what have you been reading?
tell me!




4 comments:

  1. I've just read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, it was soo good I read it in 3 days! I didn't like the ending though, I wanted a proper resolution and there wasn't one. I have just picked up Attachments by the same author, which is next on my reading list once I've finished with a beautiful vintage edition of The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sian, you're an amazing reader! ;) I work at a library, but I'm just not getting into the habit of reading. I've just finished reading Room, which I loved and had me totally hooked.

    Hope your week's off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there:) I'm glad you're enjoying my "mixed shelf" post. I've been enjoying your blog and I really appreciate your comments! Sorry for the late response…

    I actually ordered Carmilla... and might just order Fangirl now too(as I was already interested in reading it, but wasn't 100% sure yet). Our tastes and interests seem to overlap quite a bit, even -or maybe especially- as far as hidden lesser known gems are concerned. I have the feeling I'll discover lots of amazing books through you. I hope I'll be able to return that favor;) Anyway, I'll be sending a friend request on goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You're such great readers! I'm a terrible one, but I'm slowly picking up the habit. I haven't read any of those. So far this year, I've read Room and The Geography of Bliss. And I'm currently waiting for The Restaurant of Love Regained in the mail :p.

    Have a fun week, Sian!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...