Thursday, 3 April 2014

at the movies

Remember how much you enjoyed reading  my last post about movies i'd seen?
no? 
Kylie liked them. so here are some more!!
hurrayyyyy
urgh.
I loved Only Lovers Left Alive so much.
first of all - just look at Tilda in the that outfit lying on that gorgeous bedding! and that dressing gown?
and the red font?
sigh.
It's a movie by Jim Jarmusch (who also does the music - genius) about two vampires. (sorry - yes, vampires again). But they are interesting vampires... vampires that have spent their time reading, making music, travelling and being creative.
they don't kill people, they buy their blood from dodgy doctors and drink it out of gorgeous little glass goblets or silver flasks.... 
It's a slow, languid film and I loved it so - it's super stylish and lovely to look at - and set in Tangiers and Detroit....
i'm giving it ten out of ten
bert? what ya giving it?
eight.
and your thoughts?
'it's no Vampire Diaries, but it is very good indeed'
and Rhys? (rhys came too. or rather, rhys ORGANISED the whole outing)
rhys is giving it a 9 and says...
‘So beautiful, I want to spend a significant proportion of the rest of my life as a Tilda Swinton tribute act. With lollipops, night flights and embroidered robes’
Stranger by the Lake is a french film that came out last year. It is a gay erotic thriller - which kinda means that there's a murder and no one is wearing clothes.
we sat front row.
It's languid (oop I said that the other film was languid too) and dreamy and all of it filmed in and around a lake.
I can't say too much for fear of spoiling the plot.
but it's a really interesting one... 
out of ten I am giving it seven. 
I thought it was really good and pretty gripping. 
the guys spent most of the film naked, which was a good thing as all the outfits they wore were awful.
Rhys is giving it 8 out of ten and says...
'Almost unbearably tense and genuinely thought-provoking, I still feel as though I’m lost in the woods on this one (and in need of a hug from adorable Henri).'
Ruth is giving it the thumbs up too.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
I was so excited to see this as am a huge Wes Anderson fan. 
I was even getting a bit worried that I'd over-hyped it for myself....
but it was ok - it was wonderful.
 I love it all.
I was going to give it ten out of ten but bert questioned whether i liked it as much as Moonrise Kindom... and as I didn't quite like it as much as that I'm giving it 9.5....
bert is giving it 8.5 and says that it...
'sets a new pinnacle for moustache cinema'
It is so beautiful and detailed and has a lovely colour scheme and lots of snow.
Ralph Fiennes was wonderful.. I may have been heard to complain about Ralph... but I'm taking it all back.
It also stars pretty much all of my favourite actors... jason schwartzman, adrien brody, willem de foe, waris Ahluwalia, tilda swinton, owen wilson, lea seydoux, bill murray... and oodles more.
everyone has to see it. super pretty, delightful and funny.

If you go over to this post on Miki's blog you can see the model for the hotel!


11 comments:

  1. I like a bit of Tidy Tilda does weirdo - would consider paying some of my hard earned cash to see rhys' tribute act. I really want to see Grand Budapest Hotel too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh it's so lovely! you should come and watch movies with us!

      Delete
  2. Ooo I'm going to add the Tilda vampire film to my to-watch-list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! let me know if you like it!!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you mentioned Only Lovers Left Alive because I had nearly missed it in the cinema. I got a membership card today so I can now go to any art house movie without having to pay for my ticket as well:) I desperately wanted to see this, but waited until I could order my card and now it's nearly gone. But because of your post I started looking and found a place that still shows it. So I'm gonna go this weekend:)

    Will definitely have to go see the GBH as well. It looks so pretty!

    And who knows, I might see the 2nd one too if I feel like catching another movie. It's not like it's gonna cost me any more money anyway;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw hope you get to see it and you like it! it's so beautiful and stylish!!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, after such superb reviews how can I give any of these films the flick. I shall see them all when (if!) they make it to my side of the world. Of course GBH will make it and I can't wait for that - I am a huge Wes Anderson fan, although Moonrise Kingdom is not my fave. I think my fave is The Life Aquatic...and I loved The Darjeeling Limited, and of course The Royal Tenenbaums...crikey it's hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. L'Inconnu du Lac was an eye opener for a Sunday matinee! Deck shoes and nudity were a revelation. I dream of spending lazy days by a forest encircled lake and you can almost smell the heady scent of pine and hear the cicadas humming. Sadly don't think the boys would want me there but they had a lot of fun tinged with erotic danger! Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to see Only Lovers Left Alive today:D I'm so so so so so glad I could still see it! It's an instant favorite. I seriously was smitten at the first shot, with the Wanda Jackson song<3 Towards the end I was getting afraid that the wrap-up would be a very unfortunate one, but I really loved the ending too. Thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I only want to read movie reviews that you've written. If you liked them, I can guarantee I will. Even if it's a gay erotic thriller. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...