Wednesday, 7 May 2014

books read in march and april 2014

hello!
I have a cold! grr! 
but it's perfect for staying in under blankets and reading... (other than my eyes get heavy....)
I am currently reading (and enjoying) Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. I didn't think I'd like it so it's a nice surprise....
here's what I read in March and April:

March
The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates - I am a HUGE fan of Joyce and was looking forward to reading this as it's a gothicy vampire novel set in 1905... it is over 650 pages long tho so is pretty epic. Didn't quite work for me but I'm still crushing on Joyce.
The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman - hmm, another favourite author of mine and another slight disappointment. Lovely setting - Coney Island in the early twentieth century - but had none of Hoffman's usual magic and charm.
Country Dance by Margiad Evans - this was a reading group book. I adored this book and was quite surprised by it too.
The Wooden Doctor by Margiad Evans - loved Country Dance so much I had to read more Margiad. Loved this too.
Teen Spirit by Francesca Lia Block - I also adore Francesca Lia Block, her books are so magical.
Carmilla by Joseph le Fanu - another vampire novel! this one was first published in 1871! 
We Were Liars by E.Lockhart - this one comes out this month (may) but I got an advance copy - it's a pretty exciting young adult novel.
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - Ah Rainbow Rowell, her books are so lovely! read them!

some of our books... 
these are mainly bert's... but there's the Marcia Tucker on the right....


April
Desert of the Heart by Jane Rule- Lesbian novel set in the 50s and 60s which was well written, but something that I admired more than enjoyed
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell - more Rainbow Rowell! really! read them! they are sweet and fun.
Among Others by Jo Walton - really enjoyed this novel set in south wales in the 70s. Lots about books and reading in it too.
On the Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin - this was a reading group book. I had read this before years ago and remember enjoying it. Second time round I found it a little bleak... has a nice sense of time and place tho.
Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block - yay! Francesca! it's another vampire one (I seem to read a lot of vampire books), has lots of lovely descriptions of clothes!
The Virgins by Pamela Erens - a dreamy novel set in a boarding school in 1979 (think virgin suicides).
A Short Life of Trouble: Forty Years in the New York Art World by Marcia Tucker - I really loved this. It's a memoir from a wonderful woman who was a curator at the Whitney and then set up her own contemporary art museum. If you are interested in art, feminism, New York in the 60s and 70s or just a really great memoir , this is for you!

so that's the last couple of months reading covered. I've read 28 books so far this year....
have you read any of these books? 
what ya reading?






2 comments:

  1. I have read NONE of those books. You make me want to though. Thank you so much for your amazingly kind and generous comment on my blog, you are a really lovely lady. See you Saturday I hope. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading all the Rainbow Rowell books too, she's my new favourite!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...