Tuesday, 8 July 2014

books read may and june 2014

 Wanna know what I read in may and june?
here goes!
Books read in May
Laura Ford by Mark Gisbourne - This is a catalogue of some of  Laura Ford's art work. I love her work but the text was pretty uninspiring.
Fierce Medicine by Ana T Forrest - this is a mix of yoga book and memoir. There is a lot of powerful stuff in here, and the bits about being honest and speaking your truth really resonated with me.
Life after Life by Kate Atkinson - really enjoyed this. It was a reading group book and I didn't think I'd enjoy it (have read two of her other books and wasn't sold), but this was really interesting, easy to read and yet full of complex ideas about living your life over and over.
The Engine 2 diet by Rip Esselstyn - this  is a vegan (or as Rip prefers - 'Plant strong') diet and cook book which is inspiring in its message but not in it's recipes. Rips a hottie tho.
Starstruck by Cyn Balog - a teen novel that seemed to be about baking and boys and then suddenly got all supernatural. odd. but good.
Omens by Kelley Armstrong I enjoyed reading this even tho it was ridiculous. It's a kind of crime/supernatural novel - and a fun and easy read.

Books read in June
The Paying Guest by Sarah Waters - this isn't out until September, but Bert got me an early reading copy because he is the bomb. Can Sarah Waters write a bad book? 
the answer is no.
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine- great title! a music memoir that was hit and miss for me.
Bark  by Lorrie Moore  - I saw Lorrie Moore speak at Hay and she was great! enjoyed these short stories too.
A Girl Called Jack by Jack Monroe - have already mentioned how much I liked this book. Great recipes, and an important message too.
The Alone to the Alone by Gwyn Thomas - a reading group book about the south wales valleys in the 30s. Lovely writing and really interesting but didn't quite do it for me.
Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love and So Much More by Janet Mock. I adore Janet Mock, she is smart and wonderful and totally inspring. Everyone should read this (a memoir about being a trans woman in case you didn't know)

so that's what I've been reading over the last couple of months.
Have you read any of these? what did you think?
what are you reading now?
I have read 40 books so far this year and have already read a couple of corkers this july, which I'll tell you about next time.
happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness you are such a great reader! I am so boring - I tend to read the same books over and again - lack of imagination and lack of getting my act together to go to the library. Middlesex is the only new book I've tackled this year. but wow I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...