Wednesday, 1 October 2014

September reads....




When it starts to get all autumny it just makes me want to stay in, read books and drink tea. We've got beautiful weather here in cardiff at the moment - sunny and dry, but cool enough to perhaps pop on a crochet shawl!
Me and bert have both been reading away this month - my favourite thing ever is when we both have a day off and wake up and read in bed while drinking our morning cup of tea. Anyway, here's what I've been reading this month:

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
I love the title of this young adult book and have been wanting to read it got a while. It's a sweet summer read that I enjoyed a lot but it perhaps won't stay with me. Lovely light, fun read though about relationships and families.

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
Recently I've been watching a lot of booktube videos (people talking about books on youtube) And this was one that someone talked about about.... Also Bert said it looked good too. It has a really great cover as well. Totally lime green stylish.
Anyway, this is a winning mix of coming of age and being confused about your sexuality and giant bugs. Really. I adored the first half which was also pretty funny, the whole bug/possible end of the world thing lost me a little towards the end , it's still totally great though and I'm itching to read more by this author.

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
This is the first in the series of 'The Cahill Witch Chronicles' which is a young adult witchy, historical, fantasy series. I was totally swept away by this and subsequently read.....
Born Wicked: Star Cursed and Born Wicked: Sisters' Fate - they were all just my thing and reminded me of the Libba Bray books. I think my favourite was the second one, but my favourite kiss was in the first book when they were in the cupboard....

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Alire Benjamin Saenz
This was another young adult and another confused about sexuality book, it was also another one I heard about on booktube. I thought this was lovely - it's set in the late 80s and is all about two Mexican American boys. It's great to read books that have more diverse characters too - there's been some stuff recently about how most young adult books are really white, so yay for Mexican writers! and gay writers! whoop!

The Hiding Place by Trezza Azzopardi
This was this month's reading group book. As a whole, the reading group really liked this book but found it too bleak. It's set in 60s Tiger Bay in Cardiff so I liked reading about places I knew, and it was bleak - dealing with abuse, poverty and mental illness. Oddly, for me though, although I found the book pretty compelling, I didn't feel connected to it in any way.... huh.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
I read this pretty much in a day and it is a real page-turner. I couldn't stop reading it.
I enjoyed the first half and thought the second half got a bit crazy...
I gave it 3 out of 5 stars - it's totally fun and plot driven and the writing is fine... but, I'm kind of unsure of it all.


We are all Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
Oh gosh, LOVED this!! I cried at the end. Don't want to tell you too much about it as it's best to go in without knowing much. I loved the way it was written and I loved the subject matter. This book is on the booker shortlist - I hope it wins.
i've read 61 books so far this year! whoop!
what ya reading?



No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...