Tuesday, 2 December 2014

books read in november

hello!
here are the books I read in November.
most of them were from the library, hurray for the library.

first off was 
Landline by Rainbow Rowell - this is the fourth Rowell book I've read (which means all of her books so far) and I think this was my least favourite so far.(tho still totally readable and fun). It was about the possible disintegration of a marriage and also a magic phone which enabled the married couple to converse as if it were the beginning of their relationship - can they fix their marriage if they go back to the beginning?
hmm. I dunno, I found the 'magic' phone to be a bit ridic.
Light Boxes by Shane Jones - This book has the cutest cover
see?
it's a dark little fairy tale/fable type book about a town where it's always february. This is a perfect book to read on a snowy day in december - do it!
Near to the Wild Heart by Clarice Lispector - really wanted to like clarice, but it was possibly a bit too stream of conciousness for me. Dreamy and gorgeously written... and despite my difficulties with it, I would still read more by Lispector.
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed - so yes, this the Cheryl Strayed that wrote Wild, which is great and you should all read it! you know what? you should all read this too! Essentially it is a collection of advice columns that Strayed wrote under the pseudonym of 'Dear Sugar' for an online magazine. So it kind of doesn't sound that it would be that great, but it is! it's so wonderful and heart warming and I'm going to buying this as a christmas gift for a few people. Strayed answers readers problems so beautifully and with such warmth and also brings in stories from her own life. oh, and it's not in the slightest bit schmaltzy or cheesy, it's more a tough love kind of advice.
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder - I've never read these before (or watched the tv show) and it's so goddam cosy! sure, there's a wee bit more animal slaughter than I would like and a touch of racism (gulp), but aside from this... it's so cosy! snow, baking, sewing, christmas with family... sigh. I'm going to be reading more of these!
Regeneration by Pat Barker - this was our reading group book in work. Most people liked this book, but it just didn't happen for me. I found it really tedious and unrealistic but I feel bad saying that as it's about the first world war and all.
Yes Please by Amy Poehler - we all love amy poehler right? but maybe we don't love her book qutie as much. A fun and easy read which has some great celeb stories and funny bits, but didn't all quite hang together.
Over Easy by Mimi Pond - a graphic novel! yay! why haven't I been reading graphic novels recently? no one knows. This is about dropping out of art college and working in a diner in 70s California. yes? yes!

so there you have it. That's what I read in November - have you read any of these? I'm hoping to read another 10 books this year to match last years total, and I also want to just read cosy, wintery, christmassy books, any suggestions?
what have you been reading?
love you.



2 comments:

  1. I love it when you review books I was already curious about! In this case, Light Boxes and Over Easy. Guess I'll have to pick them up now;)

    ReplyDelete

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...