Friday, 3 April 2015

books read in march 2015

Hello!
March was meant to be multicultural month books wise - the plan was to read books from, y'know, mulititudes of cultures. I didn't do too badly, but could have done better, and actually, I now have some really great authors on my TBR pile.

First, I finished off Michelle Tea's memoir (which I started in feb) How to Grow Up. I adore Michelle Tea and I really enjoyed this too, but had a few little niggles with it and didn't feel that it was as good as her early stuff.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was a big ol book at around 500 pages or so, and it was pretty epic in both size and scope. This has superb writing and a plot that spans years and countries. I liked all the stuff about race way more than the relationship stuff, but this would be my recommendation to you guys this month, because me and Beyonce both loved it.

Playing in the Dark:Whiteness and the Literary Imagination by Toni Morrison was up next. This was a short, powerful little book that was more academic than I was expecting and something I think is owed a re-read. Really interesting tho obvs.

The reading group book this month was Diamond Star Halo by Tiffany Murray, which is a coming of age novel set in the 70s (and then goes up to the 2000s) and is about a bohemian family who run a recording studio in Wales. The reading group really enjoyed this one, and while there were elements of it that I liked, it wasn't really my bag.

Because of my yoga course, I have a lot of yoga related books that I need to read, and Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha by Satyananda Saraswati was one of them. This book is one of the Bihar books which all have the most amazing covers sometimes from the 60s and 70s. They are so amazing they often look like sci-fi books, but sometimes they can be a little dry. This one though is great! I mean, you need to be in to yoga to get anything out of it, but it's totally fun to read (if a little crazy towards the end - two words - turmeric root).
And finally I read Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting through the Storm by Thich Nhat Hanh. Now i'm not currently going through a storm, but if I was I'd want Thich by my side. The man is a genius and a calm one at that.

If you want to know what bert read in march, go here, and as usual I want to know if you've read any of these books and what you've been reading too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! so nice to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...